Wednesday 27 November 2013

Amazing French girl catches Cape Rockjumper by hand



The last 2 months I have been spending a crazy amount of time out in the field trying to catch birds for a project which aims to determine just how much heat our Fynbos birds can take - and I'll have a complete post on that another day. For the last couple of weeks I've been lucky to have the assistance of Pauline, a trainee ringer from France, who is very talented with the birds. For the moment, and for my amusement as much as yours....

Innocent Cape Rockjumper sits all unaware on a rock
Pauline slowly creeps up on the unsuspecting bird...
... slowly extends her hand

... and then goes for the grab - quick as a flash


Gotcha!

.. and then off to the lab
She's not always so lucky - this Familiar Chat was too quick and got away.
Actually, all I've done is upload a bird release sequence in reverse – it's more fun that way.  

1 comment:

  1. Hahaha, you got me! Because we used to catch whydahs and Damara terns by hand. ...it seemed quite plausible!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...